Friday 18 April 2014

Carbonara Pasta - Mostly Authentic, No Cream (Italian)


Tonight's supper was more like comfort food, and it was the easiest and quickest dish I made in a loooong time. It was also to make my boyfriend happy since I made a salad yesterday!  The recipe comes from Cooking with Dog (the biggest Japanese cooking channel on YouTube) and even though they say their Carbonara has been modified to suit Japanese palate, it's pretty authentic.  I watched a video from an old Italian guy on Jamie Oliver's channel, and between this Italian version and Cooking with Dog's, there's only 4 differences:
-Chef (Cooking with Dog) uses smoked pork belly (slab bacon) instead of cheek (which she probably can't find in japan anyway);
-She adds 1tbsp milk to the raw egg sauce;
-She doesn't cook the egg sauce in the pan which makes it easy not to overcook the egg;
-She tops the dish with spring onions.

Slab bacon was hard to find!  I tried the closest grocery without success, then walked this whole street for 20 minutes because I remembered seeing butchers when passing by on the bus, to realize there was 8 and each and every one of them was Halal.  What's the point of having 8 butchers if they're all halal and I want chunky bacon?  On my way back home, I walked by this grocery and I was lucky, THEY HAD A LOT.  All packed sous vide, a lot of pieces to choose from.  YAAAY!

Since Chef has a video, I won't give you the recipe on my blog and just suggest you to head over here and watch the video:
Chef is soooo cute!


Even though it's not my recipe, I was in a pictures mood!  Here is all the ingredients for 2 (I forgot 2tbsp white wine on the picture). I also used way more bacon, my boyfriend loves me even more now!


And my slab bacon!
We never had real carbonara before.  When you ask for carbonara in Montreal, it's like Alfredo with Canadian bacon...  This version is creamy but feels light.  To make the recipe even better, I made fresh fettuccini (and snapped a picture)!
Have a good night!



2 comments: