Tuesday 22 April 2014

Com Tam Suon Nuong (Vietnamese)




This weekend was Easter.  I'm not baptized and I don't like chocolate so it's never been the most important day for me.  This year, 4/20 happened the same day as Easter, so we had a friend over, got blazed and I made this Vietnamese plate for brunch, from Danang Cuisine/Helen's Recipes.  Helen says that in Vietnam, people eat this plate at any meal, in between meals or late at night!  With all its different elements, it was the best plate for 4/20's munchies!

This plate is generally composed of a grilled marinated pork chop topped with scallion oil, a special "meatloaf", broken rice, a sunny side-up egg, tomatoes, cucumber, daikon and carrot pickles and a bowl of nuoc-cham.

The yellow squares are in fact a mixture of a small amount of pork, a lot of eggs, seasonings and veggies, AND starch noodles, all steamed together and brushed with yolk during the final cooking minutes.  I was scared it'd be too strange for my tastebuds, but it was interesting and my boyfriend and our guest were impressed and liked it.

If you're interested in this special plate, watch Helen's video here!:
http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-19-com-tam-suon-nuong-grilled-pork-chop-with-broken-rice/


No comments:

Post a Comment