Thursday 24 April 2014

Thit Kho Tau Bowl (Vietnamese)


My internet friend Gary made this recipe not even a week ago and I had to copy him!  Thit Kho Tau is pork belly and hard-boiled eggs caramelised and slowly simmered with a coconut juice and fish sauce based broth.  The pork is tender but still meaty, the eggs turned salty (in a good way) and the sweet broth is really good over rice.  I used Helen's recipe again, which you can find here:
http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-42-thit-kho-tau-caramelized-pork-and-eggs/

For the bowl, I used, from bottom to top:
-a mix of jasmine rice, forbidden black rice and thai cargo red rice
-scallion oil
-lettuce, mint, Vietnamese mint, basil and flat parsley, torn appart
-cucumber shoyu-koji pickles (to get the recipes to make shoyu-koji, and the pickles, go to the fermentation category)
-some Thit Kho Tau pork and eggs of course!
-top wit a generous amount of Thit Kho Tau broth

It was a quick meal since I simmered the Thit Kho Tau during the day, so I just had to make rice and microwave the pork and eggs.  I served it with Dua Chua because Helen says it's usually eaten with different pickles.  Recipe here:
http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-61-dua-chuado-chua-vietnamese-pickled-vegetables/


No comments:

Post a Comment