Sunday 11 May 2014

Che Chuoi (Vietnamese)


My boyfriend and I don't like bananas!  We never buy them!  But when I saw this recipe in Vietnamese Street Food, I had a feeling it would be delicious!  This is a really simple, quick and easy banana and coconut milk soup, for dessert or, like us, for a sweet warm breakfast.  I hope you'll try it!

Adapted and slightly modified from the excellent book Vietnamese Street Food by Tracey Lister and Andreas Pohl:


(serves 4)

-4 bananas, peeled, sliced in half lengthwise and broiled for color, then each half cut in 4 pieces
-400mL (one can) coconut milk
-3tbsp sugar
-toasted sesame seeds for topping
-crushed roasted peanuts for topping

While the bananas are broiling, combine the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan, heat until the sugar has dissolved.  Add the banana pieces and simmer for a couple minutes so the banana soaks in the sweet coconut milk.  Transfer to serving bowls and top with sesame and peanuts!



2 comments: