Thursday 19 June 2014

Mie Ongklok Udang and Homemade Asian Egg Noodles (Indonesian, Chinese influence)


Here's a dish I tried for the picture, Mie Ongklok!  When you'll see the picture on the blog where I took the recipe from, you'll understand!  Actually, even my pictures look really good!

So how to describe this dish...  It's most likely Chinese inspired.  Fresh egg noodles and pulled chicken, topped with a glossy translucid gravy (flavoured with the chicken and shrimp heads) full of shrimps and celery, and topped with hard-boiled eggs and green onions.  Up to now it still tastes Chinese.  But then you serve it with Sambal Oelek, Kecap Manis (thick sweet soy sauce) and a lot of limes and it becomes Indonesian tasting!  It was a really interesting dish and it looks really festive to me!  You can find the recipe here:  
http://bonitofood.blogspot.ca/2012/01/ifp-mie-ongklok-udang.html

When I made this dish, I realized the quantities of noodles were wrong, the recipe makes way too much gravy, shrimps and toppings, so I doubled the amount of noodles!  I made my own fresh egg noodles Asian style, the recipe follows!


Here's the recipe for Asian style egg noodles.  I don't remember if I wrote it based on someone else's recipe or I just copied it, and I'm not sure where I took it from (I wrote down only the ingredients in a book long before I even thought of making a blog). If you see the recipe somewhere, send me the link so I can credit the author, even though I might be the author!

(makes 4 portions)

-2cups flour
-1/2cup tapioca starch
-1tsp salt
-1tsp baking soda
-2eggs
-a little water, as needed

Mix the flour and the starch with the salt and baking soda (I like to use a whisk to mix dry ingredients well).  Add the eggs and mix well with a fork, then your hands.  Use a little water if there's not enough liquid to hold the dough together.  Flatten the dough to about maybe 2-3mm thin.  I used a pasta machine to flatten the dough and cut the noodles like at the store, but you can use a rolling pin then fold the dough and flour well with starch each fold so it doesn't stick together, and cut really thin noodles (but that requires patience and skills!).

If you have to much noodles or you want to make them ahead, I think they should keep in the fridge more or less a week.  Mix the noodles with starch so they don't stick together, and cook in plenty of boiling water because the starch tends to thicken the water and if there's not enough water, it gets so thick that the noodles won't cook.  If you use the noodles with broth, gravy or a lot of sauce (like the previous dish), I think it's better to make just enough (no leftovers) because these fresh noodles absorb the liquid overnight and become kinda gross :(.

Good cooking!



No comments:

Post a Comment