Thursday 1 May 2014

Cha Gio (Vietnamese) Vietnamese Spring Rolls


I like filling the freezer with different dumplings and buns to keep for when I want an easy meal, or an easy extra side dish when friends come and eat at our place!  As a new fan of Vietnamese cooking, I still had to make Vietnamese deep-fried spring rolls!  I found this recipe from Steamy Kitchen (who took it from a book) and I was quite pleased with the results, except I would really suggest using only half the quantity of white pepper cause the taste is a little overwhelming.  I made one full recipe and ended up with 63 rolls!  Here's the link!:
http://www.steamykitchen.com/2456-vietnamese-spring-rolls.html


When eaten by themselves, the rolls are good wrapped in lettuce with some herbs and dipped in nuoc-cham.  With the rolls I made a bowl using herbs and lettuces, vermicelli, cucumbers, carrots and daikon pickles, Helen's (from Danang Cuisine/Helen's Recipes) recipe for her Bun Cha pork marinade (recipe here: http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-43-bun-cha/), my spring rolls and peanuts and fried shallots!  Top it all with nuoc-cham (recipe here: http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-2-vietnamese-dipping-sauce-cach-pha-nuoc-cham/)!



5 comments:

  1. Always buy these at Bali here in Honolulu. I could live on this stuff. I've since learned how to make my own nuoc-cham. I use it when I make Filipino lumpia. This dish is drool-worthy!

    btw…. nice foot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lumpia! Do you know if the Vietnamese rolls are supposed to taste intensely of white pepper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm… no I didn't. I think it would be too intense? The spring rolls I've tasted must have been adjusted to the western palate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. buy vietnamese food singapore

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. https://vietnamesefoodshere.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete