Thursday 1 May 2014

Lemongrass Chilli Chicken Skewers and A Vietnamese-Style Salad (Vietnamese)


Our friend Shannon that we haven't seen since last year, if not before that, came over with her boyfriend Ben (that we still hadn't met) and we had a good day getting blasted and watching cartoons and music videos!  I really wanted to cook for them, and bold move, I tried new recipes!  I adjusted the Lemongrass Chilli Chicken skewers recipe here based on what I thought of them that night.  I served them with a Vietnamese inspired salad and some spring rolls.  Here are the recipes!

Inspired by the Lemongrass Chilli Chicken (post here: http://sunnysdelights.blogspot.ca/2014/04/ga-xao-sa-ot-and-goi-du-du-vietnamese.html) I made these Lemongrass Chilli Chicken Skewers!

(makes 10 medium skewers)

-500g chicken breast, sliced thinly across the grain
-3/4tsp sugar
-1 white part lemongrass, finely chopped
-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
-1 long red chilli, finely chopped
-1 1/2tbsp oil

Mix everything together nicely except the chicken, then add the chicken to the marinade and let rest in the fridge a couple hours to overnight.

Soak your skewers in cold water for 30 minutes if using a BBQ or grill.  I used a ridged pan so it's not necessary.  Fold the meat back and forth on the skewers, then grill without using any extra oil.


For the salad, I was inspired by a traditional wedding salad on DanangCuisine.com, but I turned out quite different:

-some shrimps, boiled, shelled, cleaned and sliced in half along the "spine"
-some pork belly (I grilled thin slices of pork belly that I marinated using this recipe: http://danangcuisine.com/recipes/recipe-43-bun-cha/)
-some veggies, julienned (carrots, cucumber, lettuce, herbs, red cabbage, daikon, lotus...   Anything you have)
-some herbs
-some fried shallots and peanuts to top

Dressing:
-equal amounts of fish sauce, sugar and lime juice
-some chopped garlic and thai red bird's eye chillies, to taste

Mix the dressing until sugar has dissolved.  Mix everything for the salad together.  Toss by hand with some dressing little by little until to your taste.  Plate and top with additional peanuts and fried shallots.

I also made some Vietnamese deep-fried spring rolls that I served with some lettuce leaves, herbs and nuoc-cham, post here:
http://sunnysdelights.blogspot.ca/2014/05/cha-gio-vietnamese-vietnamese-spring.html


2 comments:

  1. THIS chicken dish I am definitely going to make. Question… you said chop a long red chili. Any particular kind? I don't want really hot peppers. I have red peppers in my freezer that are hot but not like a thai bird. Ok to use? I have all ingredients on hand… grow my own lemongrass and peppers

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use any red chilli you like, the one I use I a red version of the big green ones Maangchi always uses in her videos, and it is milder than thai bird's eye chillies. If you want a simmered version of this chicken (feels really comforting on a rainy day) try this!
    http://sunnysdelights.blogspot.ca/2014/04/ga-xao-sa-ot-and-goi-du-du-vietnamese.html

    ReplyDelete