Friday 2 May 2014

Com Sot Ca Chua (Vietnamese) Red or Tomato Rice


A quick post to share a really easy and addictive Vietnamese rice side dish also known as Vietnamese red rice or Vietnamese tomato rice.  I found this recipe as I was hunting for simple Vietnamese side dishes, and as I did more research, I found out that the most common way of making this dish is with tomato paste.  I'm not a big fan of the tomato paste taste so I'm happy the first recipe I found uses fresh tomatoes.  I made the rice during the day and just microwaved it for supper (I'm always in search of recipes that can be made ahead so it's easy to serve more small side dishes).  It's a very simple side, but I'm sure if you serve it, people will ask you for the recipe.

Here is the recipe on a recipe database website:
http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/com-sot-ca-chua-vietnamese-tomato-rice-239832

I was feeling sick yesterday, and I was planning on trying the popular Vietnamese deep-fried wings in fish sauce so I changed my mind, feeling too weird to digest fried food or cook for too long. I served my rice topped with a sunny side-up egg and a side of oven roasted parsnips and carrot (brush with a little butter, bake for 20 minutes at 350F, then top with coarse salt)!  It was easy to digest, quick and delicious.  I think I'll make some more tonight to go with my wings, it's definitely one of my new favourite ways to serve rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment