Sunday 4 May 2014

Spicy Chicken and Noodles Soup (Korean)


The weather was getting warm in Montreal, then spring arrived with its cold rain and worms (I fear worms).  Yesterday was cold so we opted for a hot and spicy soup.  This one by Aeri Lee, my boyfriend and I really like!  I think yesterday was the third time that I made it. What I like about this soup is that I can make it with whatever vegetables are in the fridge, so it's always kind of different.  The broth is really easy to make.  Yesterday was the first time I made this soup with a chicken BREAST (as suggested in the recipe) and even though it made a leaner soup, I suggest using whole legs (with bones and skin), about 2-3, for a richer, deeper broth and fatter meat. I also cook the noodles to my taste, cool and drain them, then put them at the bottom of the bowl, which is easier to serve that if you were to put the noodles directly in the soup (don't worry the hot soup with warm them up).  I like to replace some of the gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes) and chilli oil with fresh green chilli peppers that I add at the end with the green onions, which add a delicious taste and aroma. Except these points, I mostly follow the recipe, which lends a spicy, chickeny noodle soup!  Here's the recipe at Aeriskitchen.com:

http://aeriskitchen.com/2010/06/spicy-chicken-noodle-soup/


Under is a picture of last time I made this soup.  Here's a list of veggies Aeri doesn't use in her recipe that I've enjoyed and suggest for this soup:

-sweet potatoes (Japanese purple ones or orange yams)
-potatoes
-kabocha (Japanese pumpkin)
-yu choi (add the stems with the other veggies, the leaf sections at the end with the green onions)
-leeks (replace some or all onions)
-enoki or shimeji mushrooms (because they're long and all the other veggies are julienned, but regular mushrooms would still taste good)
-edible chrysanthemum leaves (put leaf sections in the soup closer to the end)
...

Any combination will be good!



No comments:

Post a Comment